Run Flats [Archive] - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

: Run Flats

djeaux
11-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Based on my administrative assistant's experience with the Michelin run-flat tires on her '07 Ody Touring, I hope I never find myself forced into buying an automobile with those monstrosities. Her TPMS indicator literally stays on, because one of the run-flats stays flat. It simply won't hold air. And when they were introduced, the only way to have 'em serviced was through Honda dealers. Unfortunately the Honda dealers received no training on the tire system...

I hope others have a positive experience with 'em, because that poor kid told me recently she probably wouldn't buy another Honda because of their experience with the tires.

To be fair, she did buy her Ody from a notoriously crappy "volume" dealer.

nevadagarth
11-21-2007, 12:58 PM
I am going to ask our dealer the next time our Odyssey is in for service. Every few weeks I am adding about 3 psi to one tire. I hope they can reseat the tire better so we don't have anymore small leaks. We only have 5300 miles on ours.

Smilmkr
12-16-2007, 11:41 AM
We just went through BS with our run flats... At only 20K miles, we have to replace all four. I complained to the dealer, who sent me to Michelin. Michelin set up a warranty claim. The dealership had to measure the treads and send that info to Michelin. At that time Michelin decided that they would offer to pick up 40% of the two tires that had worn to a "3"... I can't remember whether this measurement is mm or tenths of an inch. The other two tires still had "5", which in Michelin's eyes is half the life left. I drove to the dealership in a snow storm... those treads were "as slippery as snot on a glass doorknob"! Who was the genius that decided these tires belong on a minivan? The rubber compound is too soft. I want performance, but I also want 40K out of a set of tires - this ain't no Ferrari! $1100 later, we have new tires... ouch!

I have spent so much time researching this, I am going nuts! For 2008, guess what? PAX is optional on the Touring!

zero
12-16-2007, 04:41 PM
I would not buy the PAX again if I had the option. The concept sounds awesome and safer than a traditional "run flat." But the service and support of these tires is atrocious.

We had one go down on our Ody and the dealer wanted to charge me $125 to fix it even though Michelin's warranty literature stated specifically that the customer should not have to pay anything (for the amount of miles on the tire at the time). I had a huge fight with the service manager. He even gave Michelin a hard time. The Michelin customer service lady remarked at what a jerk this guy was being. Long story short, I ended up paying $42 dollars to get the tire changed out just so I could get my van back. I never went back to that dealer again!

We also have already had to replace the set of PAX tires at around 26-27K miles. To be fair, the tread did look really worn down.

RiverFisher
12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
I have the PAX-Michelins on my '06 Touring and have had no issues at all. The tread is wearing well, the system is working well, and have had no issues through just over 30K. I have had more issues with the TPMS on my Ridgeline and those were very minor. I guess it is one of those things that is great as long as it is working well. Then again, if you buy a Touring model, you are signing up for that philosophy.

One thing that I have found with Honda is that the dealer makes all the difference. If you have a crappy one, your experience is going to be crappy, if you have a good one, things are handled very well.

eneka
12-17-2007, 08:05 PM
There was a TSB stating that the PAX wear more on the edges so it will seem like abnormal wear, there have been many people getting alot of miles out of the tires with out any problems...

BTW: why can't i use the quick reply?

dynamiq
12-18-2007, 12:29 AM
I HAD (note HAD, as in NO LONGER HAVE!) a 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring with the infamous Run flat pieces of bad rubber. I finally sold the van to a guy who either didn't know about them or care about paying $1000 every 25,000 miles for a set of tires. I almost thought I wouldn't sell because of the tires. Everyone (except one) that looked at it backed out as soon as they knew it had run flats. :(

I went through hell and back with those tires. I bought a set of tires at 25,000 and it was time for a new set at about 50,000. I spent so much time with the dealer and Michelin with these tires it's incredible. I won't bore you with the details. I suppose if all you do is drive on the freeway, you could get more miles out of them, but we DID NOT. Michelin told me that they had people claiming to get 60,000 miles out of a run flat tire! Whatever...

I was one of the first people to have the run flats and it was an awful experience! Nobody could change a tire (not even dealer) anywhere in the country. It was fine as long as you were close to a dealer that had a tire and wheel assembly in stock and you were within 2 years of buying your Ody. After that, sorry about your luck. Oh, and after that 2 years, if you have ANY scratches on your wheels and your dealer doesn't have the equipment to change tires, then you will be charged for the wheel also!

Our TPMS light came on EVERY time we took a trip of more than an hour or so. The dealers would just scratch their heads and say "I have never heard of that". So, we just lived with it.

The long and short of it is this...don't buy Odyssey run flats if you can avoid it. We really miss our Touring amenities, but the 2007 Odyssey EX-L NAV/RES we bought in July does just fine. It even rides way better than the run flats!

That's my 2 cents. I am so happy I have tires that will last longer and cost less. :)

P.S. If you have them, make sure you rotate every 7K miles or so. That is what Michelin recommended if you want Michelin to cover them under any warranty.

eneka
12-18-2007, 10:50 PM
here's what i think, i think that PAX is a great system but the main problem is working out the quirks,(tire wear and service), one thing to note is that Many Acura RL owners actually had great experience with the PAX, but Michilen has reported there is no further development on PAX. PAX: great idea, but bad implementation of it.

cebit
12-20-2007, 12:29 AM
here's what i think, i think that PAX is a great system but the main problem is working out the quirks,(tire wear and service)Great? Except just a few quirks have not been worked out such as availability, cost, no equipment or person to mount tires, pax not available, rapid wear, not sold on Canada models, shallower tread on edges reducing wet road traction and needing special equipment to mount, special equipment to align the wheels. Sounds like Michelin TRX in some ways. TRX was hard to get and expensive and eventually faded to insignificance. Unsuspecting buyers who were told TRX was the latest and greatest bought it and regretted it..

Katman
02-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Sorry but I don't have the source for this info BUT I've read that Michelin is no longer making this tire. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder if a product is available to put in the tire to do the job? I know some tire shops HATE Slime. There are other products that seal tires once flat and they used to made with BUTANE as propellent. Not sure if that's being done any longer seems they could explode when placed on the tire machine to break the seal.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? I'm far from an EXPERT...

eneka
02-07-2010, 03:53 AM
Sorry but I don't have the source for this info BUT I've read that Michelin is no longer making this tire. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder if a product is available to put in the tire to do the job? I know some tire shops HATE Slime. There are other products that seal tires once flat and they used to made with BUTANE as propellent. Not sure if that's being done any longer seems they could explode when placed on the tire machine to break the seal.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? I'm far from an EXPERT...

i believe they only stopped futher development of it but will still make replacement tires.

I recall reading on odyclub that slime would work (i'm not sure to) but i know that plugs should work fine on the pax tires.