2007 Transmission issues [Archive] - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

: 2007 Transmission issues

07OdyTour
02-23-2009, 09:37 PM
I have a 2007 Ody Touring with just under 33K miles. When cruising between 40-50mph the engine revs up and down a few hundred RPM. I've noticed, too, that the transmission at hwy speeds just doesn't seem to settle in...there always seems to be a very slight "jerking" sensation when cruising. Thought I was initially feeling VCM kicking on and off, but it doesn't coincide with the ECO light...anyone else having issues?

Kscha41
02-24-2009, 06:58 PM
I don't know if it is tranny related or what is causing it, but it is under warrenty so bring it in. I also believe that I had read before that a few have had this problem. I think they call it surging or something like that. I forgot what or if any solution is to fixing this.

sbbamafan
02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Our '07 EX-L started doing this at aobut 18000 miles but it was somewhat sporadic. It now has 25,700 miles on it and has gotten quite regular so I took it in this morning. They called be by about 9:30 and said they were ordering me a new torque converter. I'll let you know what happens after I pick it up on Friday. FYI - it will be ready sooner but I will not have a chance to get it.

sbbamafan
02-28-2009, 07:19 AM
I have only gone about 30 miles since picking it up yesterday but the problem seems FIXED! The van is much quieter now at all speeds too.:)

ronke
04-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I have only gone about 30 miles since picking it up yesterday but the problem seems FIXED! The van is much quieter now at all speeds too.:)

I have the same problem with my 07 EX-L. Mine also makes a low "droning" noise at lower speeds. The dealer said the transmission was working perfectly and the symptoms were "just the nature of the van". I would be interested in hearing whether the torque converter solved your problem.

Kscha41
04-13-2009, 05:35 PM
I have the same problem with my 07 EX-L. Mine also makes a low "droning" noise at lower speeds. The dealer said the transmission was working perfectly and the symptoms were "just the nature of the van". I would be interested in hearing whether the torque converter solved your problem.

I think there was a tsb for a exhaust sheild and I guess it makes a low droan noise.

passwords
04-15-2009, 08:08 PM
i heard such problems from a friend of mine, but it only occurred sometimes on his car. but i don't remember clearly how he solved it finally.

my_dogs_ody
05-18-2009, 03:43 PM

very interesting. For a while they were replacing the motormounts with the hope of fixing the noise. I'd love to hear an update on your trans.

tia

passwords
05-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Transmission issues on ody again……

vancouverhonda
07-14-2009, 01:11 AM
My van is an '07 EX (16,000 miles) purchased used two months ago.

The gears seem smooth up to about 35mph but when going above that (and with gas pedal pressed to cruise at steady speed) there is sometimes a surge of about 200 rpm and then it drops back down, and again and so on.

I took it in to the dealer but they "couldn't replicate" the problem. It does bother me as it doesn't appear to be a case of being between gears.

Also, at highway speed (5TH GEAR) is it normal to have engine rpm of 1800 when going 60mph at cruise on level road? The engine seems to be working much harder than it should.

grizzrob
08-18-2009, 10:12 AM
I've been through the ringer on my 2007 EX for noises and problems. All covered under warranty, but the time and aggravation of being a regular to the service department has been a shock.

Dealer replaced front wheel bearings twice - at 3,000 miles and 12,000 miles - this fixed a moaning sound at almost any speed or rpm.

Power Steering Pump replaced twice - at 3,000 miles and 30,000 miles.

TPMS Tire pressure sensors - replace 2/4 at 12,000 miles for faulty readings

Engine compartment rattling like gravel in a bucket - started to notice this sound at 30,000 miles - As we approached the 36K warranty window the noise was regular. With light acceleration - just a "breath of gas" like someone else described it, the rattling set in until the engine downshifted from 5th gear. Dealer replaced A-pipe at 35,000 and sent me on my way - within a mile of the dealership I heard the rattle/gravel noise and turned back around.

After 4-days in the shop with a loaner, they said sorry - we don't know what else to do...we'll call if we figure something out. They were kind enough to extend the warranty coverage indefinitely, but I didn't like the idea of "just live with it" and driving a car with a recognized problem that couldn't be figured out.

I opted to trade in for a 2010 EX, almost identical, on the advice that my 2007 was the 1/100,000 rarity.

Now at 1,000 miles and two weeks old, I have my 2010 in the shop for the same exact noise. The service manager rode with me - verified the sound, said it's the transmission bogging down under torque converter lockup. The diagnosis makes sense to me...like driving a stickshift in 5th gear at 20 miles an hour.

I'm guessing I'll be told that I just have to live with it, and don't worry you have a lifetime powertrain warranty. That's fine, but I really don't want to be part of a frequent flyer club for Honda. Seriously thinking about dumping a brand new car that my family otherwise loves.

NDNV
08-18-2009, 10:49 AM
That's crazy. Although I am aware of those issues you faced, you seem to have a van that did not have a good track record.

For your 2010, there is a TSB #09-053 for the 2009 model that needs a PCM/software update to remedy the juddering of the torque converter. This may apply to your 2010 perhaps.

Even my 2001 (with the supposedly failure-prone 4-speed transmission) hasn't had issues to date after 8 years.

lovemyodyssey??
10-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I have a 2007 EXL and am experienceing a similar transmission issue. Especially around 60 mph it appears to be searching for the proper gear and at other times 20-60 mph you will feel the slippage.

Any feedback? I have not called my dealership yet but would like to be armed with as much info as I can.

Am I screwed as a result of just being beyond my 36k warranty?

Thanks,:eek:

grizzrob
10-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Shortly after that post I went for a ride in another EXL with just 12-miles on it with the shop manager - and I could get the same crappy sound if I applied a light throttle when in overdrive (5th gear). So I ended up hearing what I thought I would - "it's part of the van, just live with it" and let the warranty cover it later on. The van performs OK - but the effect drives me crazy.

I was told that eventually it will lead to a premature failure on the automatic clutch and that the transmission is undersized for a 6000lb car. I can't give you any info on the warranty issue - your best hope will be that Honda comes up with a repair bulletin short of a recall for affected models in the near future.

lovemyodyssey??
11-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Quick update...I took my Odyssey into the dealer to address a TSB to "fix" the transmission judder issue btwn 20-40 mph. It was a software upgrade that did not work. I am not waiting on anew torque converter to arrive and be installed...stay tuned!

Witz09
02-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Hi Lovemyodyssey, did the new torque converter solve your transmission problem? My 2007 Odyssey is showing similar transmission problems. Thanks

manon2wheels
02-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I have a 2007 Ody Touring with just under 33K miles. When cruising between 40-50mph the engine revs up and down a few hundred RPM. I've noticed, too, that the transmission at hwy speeds just doesn't seem to settle in...there always seems to be a very slight "jerking" sensation when cruising. Thought I was initially feeling VCM kicking on and off, but it doesn't coincide with the ECO light...anyone else having issues?

My 2007 with 31K on the clock is doing the same thing. I took it in and they applied the new ECU map but it only helped slightly. I'm taking it in again next week... sounds like I need a new torque converter.

J C Odell
04-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Yes I have the same Ody. Had the touque converter replaced one month ago and an updated software last week but still have some "jerking " at 50 -65 mph.
Would like to know how to fix this problem!!!

Space odyssey
04-29-2010, 06:36 PM
what is anyones input on the odyssey's transmission problems is it the owners missuse or manufacture defect!!!!!:confused:

NKYOdyssey
04-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Our 2007 has a similar problem. When driving at around 45 mph the transmission shifts into overdrive, the engine is running around 1200 RPM, it will vary from 1200-1400 with a regular pattern of change in RPM. We don't seem to have any of the other problems with jerky shifting or noise however. I am going to have it looked at, but was waiting on the ABS test recall but haven't seen a letter regarding this yet. We received a letter stating we would get the recall at the end of April, which is today.

Patience
05-10-2010, 03:20 PM
I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey that I bought new in 2008. It only has 31,000 miles on it and I've been having the same transmission problem as most of you. Around 30-40 mph it drops into over drive and starts surging. It also idles really rough.
I've had it in the shop 3 times now for the same problem. The first time it was in they did a "software update" that didn't help at all. The 2nd time they replaced the torque converter, that didn't help at all. The 3rd time they said "well they (meaning the tech) probably forgot to do a software update after they replaced the torque converter". So all they did the 3rd visit was again do a "software update", which didn't solve the problem either. SO now I have to take it in a 4th time.
I also had to have the power steering reservoir replaced and they fixed the soft brake issue also.
I'm so frustrated at this point. I love my van but with all these issue I might trade it in. The problem is I don't like any other minivan.

StockOdy
06-17-2010, 07:09 PM
06/17/2005 Hi, My Vibration from Front occurs when Initially Accelerating slowly. My 2000 Honda has 192K and runs great, other than this new problem. It 1st occurred when driving in the desert near Palm Springs, CA. Honda has done the work to reem out the EGR Port and replaced the EGR. Problem still occurs. Occurs more often when the tank is full of fuel. Honda inspected the evac system & fuel lines for fluids and/or fine sand. Nothing found. We fear it is the Fuel Pump Module and will keep you posted. Honda states that the Fuel Pump Module rarely fails. Wish us luck. Did you resolve your issue? Thanks, StockOdy
06/17/2005 Update
Vibration occurs after "harder" than normal breaking (Full Tank may have needed harder breaking). While my EGR Port and Intake Manifold needed a severe cleaning, the real problem appears to be the Transmission (again). The 2000s are notorious for defective transmissions. Original transmission lasted 60K, Second lasted 32K, Third lasted 1K, Fourth lasted 92K (Serviced every 30K). All were covered under Honda Warranty. I have to pay for the 5th. Honda replaces Torqe Converter along with Transmission, etc. Check your Vehicle against Honda's Recalls, TSRs and/or CarFax.com to see if your Vehicle falls into this "bad transmission" category. Sorry Charlie, It's probably your Tranny. StockOdy

NKYOdyssey
06-18-2010, 06:26 AM
We had the same RPM "Surge" on our 2007 Odyssey. Took it in for the software remap and the brake test repair, and the remap seems to have stopped the problem. Shifts are much more abrupt, and there doesn't seem to be as much searching of the transmission when the lock out engages. We will see how it goes.