Is the difference in mileage worth the difference in cash? - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum
Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

Go Back   Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum > Honda Odyssey > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

OdysseyOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Odyssey Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 PM

Default Is the difference in mileage worth the difference in cash?

Hi there

We're currently looking to buy a 2008 Touring, and I've got two options:

One with 100,000 km (60k miles) going for $22,500 (Canadian). No accidents, very clean car. One owner, not Honda certified but with a Honda pre-sale inspection.

The other car only has 38,000 km on the clock, about 23k miles, in as new condition. This is a Honda certified van, originally sold and then serviced by the dealership now selling it. The asking price is $29,000, but I could most probably get that down a little.

I can afford to buy the cheaper model for cash, would need to finance the more expensive model.

In your opinion, is the difference in mileage important enough to justify the extra cost or do these vans just keep on going and going? We've got three kids under the age of three (one boy and twins) so will probably keep the car for the next ten years or so.

Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited by tronnaandy; 01-14-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 PM

IMO I would prob lean toward the lower mileage one. You mentioned you think you can knock the price down some so for basically not too much more you get a van that has about 1/3 less miles and you plan to keep for a long time. Some of the more expensive maintenance like timing belt will be a further off than with the higher mileage van (ya I know 60k is pretty far too but 23k is even farther off).

You mentioned you would have to finance a little. I would also add in total cost after financing to see what the true price delta is.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 AM

I would go for the lower mileage odyssey touring one myself. Less chance of problems, probably better gas mileage.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Always go with the lower mileage option for several reasons. Most important which is that it's certified pre-owned and you'll need it to last a while, so factor in the disparity of miles between that Touring and the older model and you should have your answer right there. You could put most any model in place, whether you're comparing a used honda odyssey or what not.
http://www.jaywolfehonda.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement