Towing - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum
Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

Go Back   Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum > Honda Odyssey Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

OdysseyOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Odyssey Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 AM

Default Towing

I have an 01 LX. Do I need to go the dealer and get the two package installed in order to pull a camper or pop-up?
Does anybody know an ideal camper to pull with it?
Thanks,
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 09:16 AM

You don't have to have a hitch installed by the dealer to be able to tow. There are a few good aftermarket hitches on the market as well as wiring harnesses. Honda does recommend a trans coller if you do plan to tow.

This site will gove you an idea of the options you have.

Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924
Old 06-10-2008, 12:11 AM

The Honda installed hitch, tranny cooler, and power steering cooler are, what I would call, very expensive. Check your owners manual for what is required, for example they require both coolers and a weight distributing hitch (if trailer is over 1,850#, IIRC) on my 2007. As lizzurd said, a third-party hitch and coolers is the way to go, especially on an out-of-warranty car.

You can tow anything up to your weight limit. Mine is 3,500#. We tow a Casita 17' fiberglass trailer. Pop-ups are also popular.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:34 AM

On a 2005-2008 there's a service bulletin out there says that you will void your warranty if you don't install a transmission cooler and air duct. On a 2001 I think it just says that it's required if you are towing more than 2,000 lb...

Honda's reasoning for the 2005-2008 warranty issue is, you install the hitch for a bike rack, no problem you really don't need the cooler, but if you sell the car the next owner isn't going to know that he can't pull a trailer because the coolers aren't installed and end's up burring up his transmission.

Personally, I went the other way around, before heading out on a road trip to Arizona, I installed the transmission and power steering coolers and the air duct, but I didn't install the hitch.

Personally, if I was to install a hitch, I would install the coolers as well. The Honda OEM parts prices are high, but, our hosts prices, H and A Accessories, are a lot better than my local dealers.

Honda Odyssey Accessories - Exterior Accessories - Genuine Factory Honda Accessories, made by Honda for your Honda.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Tesla

btw, the Honda atf and power steering pump are a joke. get a good aftermarket one.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:18 PM

The ATF cooler for 2007 and later, is significantly better than the simple tube with fins in prior years, but aftermarket remain a lot less expensive!
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot48 View Post
The ATF cooler for 2007 and later, is significantly better than the simple tube with fins in prior years, but aftermarket remain a lot less expensive!

Hi, I want to install same as yours on the picture OEM transmission cooler for Odyssey 08í just a quick question did you have to install new power steering cooler as well? Iím just trying to avoid installing power steering cooler.

Thanks Ivan
Old 02-22-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey08 View Post
Hi, I want to install same as yours on the picture OEM transmission cooler for Odyssey 08í just a quick question did you have to install new power steering cooler as well? Iím just trying to avoid installing power steering cooler.
I had them both installed by the dealer as part of the towing package. Honda "requires" the PS cooler for towing but I don't know what the consequences would be if you didn't.

The PS cooler is a simple finned tube across the front of the radiator, which I don't quite see in the picture.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot48 View Post
I had them both installed by the dealer as part of the towing package. Honda "requires" the PS cooler for towing but I don't know what the consequences would be if you didn't.

The PS cooler is a simple finned tube across the front of the radiator, which I don't quite see in the picture.
i read in other post that original PS cooler would be on the way when i install OEM trans cooler. Is that true? i want to install trans cooler tonight after work and i want to make sure that i don't need to get PS cooler after taking apart my front end.

thanks Ivan
Old 02-22-2011, 04:03 PM

The original PS cooler was a tube going back and forth in front of the radiator. The PS cooler is a single tube with fins going across the top of the opening and behind the T cooler.

I suggest you read the install instructions for both coolers and see what they say. HandA has them available. http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyext05.html
Attached Images

Last edited by BigFoot48; 02-22-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement