CD player failure - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum
Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

Go Back   Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum > Honda Odyssey Accessories, Care and Mods > Audio, Video and Gadgets

OdysseyOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Odyssey Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 AM

Angry CD player failure

I have a 06 Odyssey EX. The 6 disc CD player stopped working. Could not play, load or unload CD. The radio worked but did not indicate the CD player had CD's in it. I was out of warranty, but Honda replaced the CD player for the labor cost. ($200). They said that burned CD's will damage the CD player and we should not use them. Only store bought CD's. I have a big problem with this since all of my music is on my PC.

Has anybody heard of this?
Should I play burned CD in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008, 01:04 AM

i don't think burned cd's should cause damage.. might have been a faulty unit? hopefully if mine gives in, it happens in the next 6k miles..=[
Old 08-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Site Sponsor

Honda has bulletins about not using CD's with adhesive labels on them, but I didn't find any about not using recordable CD's without labels added.

They do say that the recordable CD's are thicker than the standard ones which is why an added label on top of that can really mess things up but they don't say that the added thickness on its own is enough to cause a problem. Anyone know if CDR's have different thickness between the different brands?

On the downside if the new CD changer they installed gets some stuck in it they probably won't help with the replacement cost again.

-Trevor

Genuine Factory Honda Odyssey Accessories

Last edited by HandA; 08-16-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:08 PM

Default burned cd's

whenever i have played burned cd's in my cd player, they would just simply not play...the display read "error." but it never caused any harm to the player. usually burned cd's work ok, but sometimes i think it might have been the format of the disk that i had or something like that. of course, the only real major issue i had with my stereo is when it smoked...literally. i have the dvd system in my van and one day the radio itself just burned up...well, one of the chips on the computer board at least....pretty smelly! but i was able to buy a used one out of state.

Last edited by COLOHONDA; 08-15-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 PM

Default 2006 odyssey cd player is dead

it just stopped working - initially it said 'jam eject cd' but after a couple minutes of trying to eject a cd, it simply stopped responding. no power, no nothing. is there a way to reset it? i tried to unplug the battery terminal for a few minutes and that didn't solve anything.

any ideas?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilo View Post
it just stopped working - initially it said 'jam eject cd' but after a couple minutes of trying to eject a cd, it simply stopped responding. no power, no nothing. is there a way to reset it? i tried to unplug the battery terminal for a few minutes and that didn't solve anything.

any ideas?
Try leaving the battery disconnected for an hour.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:35 PM

I have a 2007 Touring.

In the "Quick Start Guide" amongst the many owner's manuals in the "Audio/Rear Entertainment/XM" section it says:

"Tip: Use only high-quality, standard, round discs. Odd-shaped CD's, CD-RW's, 3 inch (8mm) discs, and some CD-R's will not play in the unit."

"Note: Avoid using CD's or DVD's that have adhesive labels or protective disc covers. The edges can curl up or bubbles can form and cause the CD to jam in the drive."

For both of my other vehicles, a 2005 F-150 Supercrew and my 2001 Civic EX the owners manuals say the same. If I remember right the F-150 actually NOT to play them. Both sometimes have trouble with these recorded CD's. Sometimes the civic will not play it at all, and then another time it is fine with the same CD. It is always with a CD that has been "recorded".
Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 PM

Default Re:

you'are not the first person owns a cd player which cannot play burned cds. actually many cd player requires high quality cds. but i don't know whether burned cd will damage the player.
Advertisement