Steering Column is Noisy - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum
Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

Go Back   Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum > Honda Odyssey > Problems & Issues

OdysseyOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Odyssey Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 AM

Question Steering Column is Noisy

My 2007 Odyssey's steering column has been noisy since several weeks ago in particularly when turning either left or right. Recently I checked with Honda Dealer, and the mechanic told me that the steering shaft was worned out and needed a replacement. Since it is still under warranty, I should not be really worried about the cost.

Is this a common kind of problem found in Odyssey or Honda? If not, what is the likely cause? My driving habit looks normal, not agressive.

I am looking forward to some feedback. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 10:20 AM

Question Steering or suspension noise..

Hi, My '07 Odyssey also has a bit of noise in the steering or front suspension. Not sure if it is the same as yours. I hear a light clunk sound when rolling over dips, cracks, bumps and sometimes when I am turning when stopped or at low speeds. It sounds to me like something is loose, like play in the steering mechanism or linkage somewhere. The kind of noise you'd expect in a car with 100K miles... not a fairly new Honda. I've owned Hondas for 30 years and don't recall this kind of noise, even in those cars that had lots of miles. Any suggestions??? Dealer says it is normal....
Old 11-09-2009, 10:33 AM

Not normal. Ask the dealer to look up Technical Service Bulletin #07-065 Steering Column Pops or Clunks While Turning or Accelerating.

SYMPTOM
The steering column pops or clunks during low-speed
turns or when accelerating.
PROBABLE CAUSE
There is insufficient lubricant on the telescoping
steering column shaft splines.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Lubricate the telescoping steering column shaft
splines.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Thumbs up Steering Column Noise...

Hey, Thanks for the info. I really think this TSB describes my issue because months ago, I tried excercising the steering wheel extension / position and the noise seemed to go away (for awhile). This makes sense if the steering shaft spline is dry / underlubricated like the Service builletin says. I just wish the dealership looked for this bullitin last time I was in for service. Now I have to make another appointment / another trip to the dealership.

Thanks much for the information / Advice!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement