De- PAX Question - Tires - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum
Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

Go Back   Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum > Honda Odyssey Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires and Wheels

OdysseyOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Odyssey Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:07 PM

Default De- PAX Question - Tires

I am in the process of gathering everything I need to depax, I have rims off an 09 Acura TL, and they are 17's

Tire recommeded to me was a 234 60R17 but can I use a 235 50 R 17, what is the different b/w the two. I just need to know if it will work for my 05 Ody Touring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls8195 View Post
I am in the process of gathering everything I need to depax, I have rims off an 09 Acura TL, and they are 17's

Tire recommeded to me was a 234 60R17 but can I use a 235 50 R 17, what is the different b/w the two. I just need to know if it will work for my 05 Ody Touring.
The 50 series tire is gonna have a much lower profile, almost too low for a big van imo. Won't get much cushion from those tires either. I'm not even sure the tire will be big enough to properly carry the weight of the van in a 17inch whell, be sure to check that out. Personally I think they'll be too small, if you want a 50 series you really should go 18s or even bigger.

235/60/17s are what Honda uses and recommends and that's what I'd go with. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 PM

Default de-pax

I agree with the recommended 235/60/17 tires. Does anyone know where the spare will go if I purchase it? Also if I de-pax do I need to buy new TPS for each of the new rims? I'm right at 4 32nd and probably need to do something before winter.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I agree with the recommended 235/60/17 tires. Does anyone know where the spare will go if I purchase it? Also if I de-pax do I need to buy new TPS for each of the new rims? I'm right at 4 32nd and probably need to do something before winter.
The spare goes right in the spare tire compartment in the rear of the van on the driver's side, it's empty on Tourings, you just need to get the hold down bolt from the dealer (it's cheap). Not sure on the tps sensors, I think it depends on the rims you get. I decided to just re-Pax (haha, play on words) and actually even though they were hell of expensive they're a pretty dang good tire, it's amazing to me how much better the car rides with new rubber ... it feels like it's BRAND NEW!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 PM

thanks for the feedback. I'm actually leaning towards replacing the pax with new pax as well. We only drive 6-8k yr so even if they only last another 24k I'll get a few years out of them.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
thanks for the feedback. I'm actually leaning towards replacing the pax with new pax as well. We only drive 6-8k yr so even if they only last another 24k I'll get a few years out of them.
There's the whole lawsuit thing too where you might get some money, check it out. The PAX thing is funny, it's a great idea having run-flat tires especially on a long distance runner like the Odyssey but ... the execution is all wrong. WAY too expensive, no place to get replacements, insane flat repair charges ($75!!!!), it's just ridiculous ... which is why there's the lawsuit.

Big thing I get from all that is the outer edge wear that we've all been taught is bad on tires from day one is NORMAL for this tire ... according to Michelin and Honda. (cough ... cough ... bullshiat ... cough) They're saying you can keep right on going with the edges completely smooth and worn down like that but no way I'm gonna I don't care what they say.

They say 36K is normal mileage and that's low for a standard non-performance tire but oh well. I pushed mine to 30K and that was too much for me, they were bad at 25K and that's prolly when I'll replace them again. Luckily we don't put a lot of miles on so that's close to 3 years. Stupid PAX.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:30 PM

Default Replace PAX

As an option to Depax I found Collage hill Honda in Ohio who has a Depax Video you can see and they offer 7 different kits. They cost from around 950.00 to 1750.00 without tires, but they have a complete spare installation kit including the tire for the spare.

They also offer advice for replacement tire sizes to ensure your speedometer is acurate. Take a look it my be helpful to you. I just ordered a 17" set for my Odyssey and it ran 1395.00 and am waiting for it kit to arrive. I also talked to alocal tire shop to get a set of 235 60 R17 tire which is the same diameter.

Good luck with yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement