Shut Off The Seat Belt Beeper! *NOT RECOMMENDED BY SITE MGMT* - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum
Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

Go Back   Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum > Honda Odyssey Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

OdysseyOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Odyssey Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Shut Off The Seat Belt Beeper! *NOT RECOMMENDED BY SITE MGMT*

***Quick note from the forum admin...this can be a very dangerous move and we do not recommend tampering with your seat belt in any way.***

This is my favorite mod, as it allows the wife to move around while on trips without the driver getting annoyed!

I did this mod on the passenger seat. Took about 10 minutes. With these instructions, it's a 3 minute job.

Caution:
1. The seat belt switch is used by the airbag deployment system to determine rate of deployment.

2. Setting the seat belt switch to "always on" AND NOT wearing your seatbelt may result in increased injury due to an incorrect deployment rate as determined by the Honda airbag system.

3. Know the risks when doing this modification.

4. Remove this mod when selling your car.

1. Remove the two screws holding the cover plate on the buckle assembly. A small screw driver will do it, although a Torx driver #10 (star shaped) is what is ideally needed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_10664

2. This is what the insides look like when opened.

3. This is what it looks like with the seat belt buckled. Notice the microswitch is now closed.

4. I used a black twist-tie to "permanently" close the switch. This does not interfere with the buckle operation. Caution! The metal arm that pushes down on the switch button is rather thin. Take care to not bend it!

5. Screw the cover back on (try not to lose a screw into the seat innards like I did) and you're done. Can be reversed in about 2 minutes to restore the Big Brother function!

Last edited by BigFoot48; 12-26-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Just Be AWARE

The SRS control module uses various inputs to determine the safest manner for supplimental restraint deployment - or nondeployment. The seat buckle switch is one of the inputs that is used. Over-riding this switch by performing the suggested modification adds the risk of increased personal injury, as the system will operate in the manner for which it was designed, and the designers did not account for end user modifications that would provide incorrect inputs to the SRS control module.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Thanks for that useful information. This mod is intended for people who normally wear their seat belt, but occasionally get out of the seat and don't want to be annoyed by the chime. The system will perform as designed when the person is sitting in the seat with it buckled. A person who does this mod so they can sit without their seat belted buckled has already assumed an extremely high risk of injury and the action or inaction of the airbags are unlikely to change that fact.

Last edited by BigFoot48; 12-20-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot48 View Post
the action or inaction of the airbags are unlikely to change that fact.

Not quite sure about the accuracy of this statement.

A number of people have had their necks snapped by a deploying air-bag.

The designer's have modified the systems in order to deploy the air-bags at different speeds, depending on the severity of the hit and the position of the driver's body relative to the bag.

An un-restrained driver's body and head will approach the airbag at a significantly faster rate than someone who is being restrained by a seatbelt, so having the correct deployment rate could have a significant affect on the outcome.

Personally, I do not care one way or the other if people choose to wear seat belts or not, nor do I care if they alter their own vehicles to suit individual preferences.

The only reason that I post on this issue at all is that most people will not understand the potentially significant ramifications of performing this type of modification.

I'm sure every adult is aware that choosing to not wear a seatbelt increases the risk of injury by contacting the steering wheel or windshield. I just think that most won't realize the added risk involved by having an airbag deploy too slowly, and therefore, underneath their chin because their body got there too fast.

I think that if you choose not to wear a seat-belt, and choose to modify an input to the air-bag system that directly affects how that system operates, you'd be better off completely disabling the air-bag system. At least that way you'll be fully in control of the aftermath of your own decision to accept risk, rather than be taken by surprise. Better off dead than being turned into a blinker (parapalegic), right?
Old 12-26-2007, 09:35 AM
ODYOC Founder, Admin

Send a message via ICQ to T Mac Send a message via AIM to T Mac Send a message via MSN to T Mac

The bottom line is that, for any reason, tampering with the safety belts or the chimes can cause problems for you later when they are needed for your safety. I'm not going to remove this thread but I think we are making it clear that we do not recommend it and any action on your van is at your own risk.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:20 AM

Based on these concerns I've added a warning to my original post.

I have noticed that other vehicles have a means to turn off the beeper through a combination of actions (turn on ignition, hold down switch, etc.). If Honda would provide such a mechanism it would be solve all these problems.

Last edited by BigFoot48; 12-26-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:48 PM

wait...why did you do it for the passenger's side? all i know is that the buzzer goes off if the driver is unbuckled, what does it do when the passenger isn't buckled?
-80k miles as of 2/10
Old 12-27-2007, 09:38 AM

As far as I have noticed, both sides on my model work the same way, with intermittent, never ending chiming. I haven't yet done the driver's side but when parking my trailer at a campground, and getting in and out, the chiming is annoying. Honda probably has never-ending chiming for legal reasons but one or two times would make the point for most people intelligent enough to pass a driving test.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:09 AM

Default I am probably in the minority here, but

I actually like the unending intermittent chime on my CR-V. I have never got in the habit of putting the damned seat belt on. I have no objection to putting it on but just never seem to remember to do it. Usually by the third chime I have it on.

On my previous car, the chime sounded once when you first started and the light went off. Deep in my unconscious a little voice would keep saying "seat belt" "seat belt" but for some reason it remained just below the level of doing something about it--kind of like an irritating gnat. Half the time I didn't put the seat belt on until I would see a cop, then I would try to slide it on without them noticing.

So yes, I like it. I have a fear of the air bags and I actually want to wear the belt. But I agree it would be nice if there was a way to shut off the chime for those cases as you mention, a sort of press the button and you get 15 minutes of no chiming.

However, I would not perform any modification to the seat belt / air bag system. It is very complex and will it operate properly in a emergency? I don't know about the Ody but the CR-V has automatic seat belt tensioners that will pull the occupant back into the seat prior to the airbag release. I want that stuff to operate correctly. The air bags scare the hell of me.

As far as intelligence, some of us slide through a driver's test by the seat of our pants. I will admit I am not the sharpest pencil in the pack.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:36 PM

hmmm..maybe they changed it for the 07'? As far as i know, my '05 only chimes if the driver is unbuckled..
-80k miles as of 2/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement