Remove The Third-Row Seat - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum
Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

Go Back   Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum > Honda Odyssey Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

OdysseyOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Odyssey Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 PM

Default Remove The Third-Row Seat

Should you need more room, or as in our case want to reduced the inside weight (we tow a trailer), removing the third-row, stowable seat on a 2007 Odyssey EX is a fairly easy project. Our seat weighed 113#. This procedure is probably applicable to all 2005-2009 Odysseys, although the LX and Tour may be different.

Proceed at your own risk. This is not difficult, but does involve dealing with two loaded springs, and the weight of the seat.

1. With the seat up, remove the center plastic cover. There are two clips holding it in place, but it can be pried off with your fingers.

2. Remove the three bolts behind this cover.

3. Rotate seats to the stowed position

4. Remove the two caps covering the hinges on either side. Start with the clip on the front of the cap. Pull up on the cap here while holding the plastic belonging to the side panel firmly down. When free, rotate the cap toward the rear to release it from the rear clip.

5. Remove the center cover, again by prying up with your fingers.

6. To remove the side bolts, the spring that assists in raising the seat to the upright position must be released. Start with the left (smaller) seat, as the spring on it is the weakest.

Remove the inner of the two bolts first. Then, insert a phillips head screwdriver (longer is better) into the hole in the hinge stud. Start removing the second bolt, while holding pressure on the screwdriver. When you have confidence that you can control the spring, remove the bolt and let the spring all the way down. Insert another screwdriver into the hinge hole to help control the spring, this is especially needed on the stronger right side.

7. Remove the two bolts on the center hinge.

8. Remove the heavy seat, reinstall the side hinge covers, and you're done!

Notes:
1. Honda sells a bracket that is used to secure the springs in their tension position (seated stowed), making removal of the side bolts easier. These brackets may cost $30 or so, maybe each. I believe the method above is easy, and the springs in the relaxed position is a better result, but using the brackets may be preferred by some.
2. Kudos to mtntrx at OdyClub for pioneering this removal procedure.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigFoot48; 08-12-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 04:43 PM

Photos continued...
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Removing the side bolts
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Final steps
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 AM

thanks BigFoot48,
I have successfully removed the 3rd-row seat following your tips,
in addition to your step, I found it not necessary to remove the iron holder in the middle, since the seat altogether is so heavy, I removed the seat bracket only, and left the iron holder and the cover intact.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:44 AM

Do the brackets stick above the carpeting after you removed the seat? Was a good idea considering you are using a reciever for trailer. Would make towing much safer
with less load on the rear end.

Do you use load levling hitch setup? These allow all 4 brakes to help with stopping the trailer.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katman View Post
Do the brackets stick above the carpeting after you removed the seat? Was a good idea considering you are using a reciever for trailer. Would make towing much safer with less load on the rear end.

Do you use load levling hitch setup? These allow all 4 brakes to help with stopping the trailer.
I realized I never put a picture in of the finished result, so here it is.

Yes, the side brackets remain, so I covered them with pieces of the "carpet" I'm using to cover the back (from Costco).

Removing the rear seat gives me an extra 110# of capacity, either by lightening the load on the hitch, or reducing overall vehicle+trailer weight. I use a weight distributing hitch, as required by Honda, and which is a must-have anyway for a heavy trailer (mine is 3,450#, including about 550# for the hitch.)
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2010, 12:41 AM

thanks for the post, another success.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:08 PM

Just removed the third row seats from my 2011 Odyssey. Mostly the same, except the springs stay with the seats:
1. Remove covers (by hand, except for one which needed a screwdriver to pop the clip.
2. With seat raised, remove all bolts (14mm)
3. With seat lowered, insert screwdriver into spring shaft and remove all bolts.
4. Remove seat.

They weigh 120lbs (50lb + 70lb).

Thanks BigFoot for the original post. Where did you get that rubber bin that you put in the bottom of the well?

-J.R.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:01 PM

That bin came from the dealer as part of their trim package which I no doubt paid an excessive amount for. I do like how it keeps spills and stuff under control. So look for it in a Honda accessories list.
Advertisement

Tags
third row seat removal