05 noisy valve train 70k miles [Archive] - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

: 05 noisy valve train 70k miles

gcp42
08-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi there,

New to the group and wondering if anyone else has experienced noisy valves. I noticed an adjustment spec listed but I'm not sure if they are adjustable (ie via screw and nut on the rockers) or are they hydraulic? Before you ask yes, the oil is full and the van receives regular servicing. :confused:

Dirkdaddy
10-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Sounds like you need adjustment. I just got a used '06 and do my own service, but its not been issue for me yet. They do adjust apparently, which was a surprise to me in this day and age. They are listed as needing service or checking with like the timing belt, or "WHEN NOISY" in the service book. If you don't have the service book advise getting one if you do things yourself, I got one on Ebay for about $40 used and its paid for itself in less than 3 months!

I am not sure if they are shim under bucket or the old style rocker follower. I'd guess the former as the interval is so long, and the others rarely last in adjustment that long.

thebeav11
01-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I have a 2005 with the same problem. somewhere in the 90's honda started moving away from hydraulic lifters and going back to the old style adjustable ones. Somewhere around 50,000, I noticed my valves getting noisy, so I started doing the adjustment myself. The front ones are fine, but mine has the VCM so the front 3 have a very conventional design. The back ones, however, were the ones that needed the adjustment and they are the ones that are made to disengage from the camshaft. I made the adjustment, and within 5,000 miles, the chattering returned, and I adjusted them around 70,000 and that made it a little better for a while. Now, at 95,000, I have just learned to live with a noisy engine. I have come to the conclusion that the the little slide pistons that connect and disconnect the 2 piece rocker arms (back 3 cylinders only have them) must be wearing down and creating more play. I have another problem too. When I did a compression test at 70,000 miles, my back 3 cylinders read an impressive 203-205psi, but the front 3 only read 181-185. I am sure this is because those 3 are working much harder, especially cruising at 80 on those 3 only. I have yet to determine if the valves are just pitting more rapidly or my cylinder walls/rings are wearing. I can say the engine is using about 1 quart of oil every 2500 miles now, and didn't use any when it was new. I guess I can say I really regret getting the EXL with the VCM. Now my engine shakes at idle, and I am looking at taking the front head off this year since my timing belt will be due for replacement and that would be a good time to have the valves redone and inspect/repair the cylinder walls.