6 Speed manual in an Ody? [Archive] - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

: 6 Speed manual in an Ody?

homans45302
04-12-2008, 07:14 PM
I remember reading sometime last year about an Odyssey entered in a race (or series of races.) I believe it was the "One Lap of America". In any case, one of the several mods was replacing the transmission with a 6 speed manual from, I think, an Acura TL.

Has anyone attempted such a mod? Does anyone know if it would mate to a 2000 Odysseys engine? I believe 05 was a new engine style. I like my Odyssey. If I could change one thing, it would be that blasted transmission. It left me and the family on the side of the road once already, and replaced again a year later.

Wouldn't a 6 speed manual be awesome? I would have to teach the wife how to drive it though.

lizzurd
04-16-2008, 11:16 AM
I remember reading sometime last year about an Odyssey entered in a race (or series of races.) I believe it was the "One Lap of America". In any case, one of the several mods was replacing the transmission with a 6 speed manual from, I think, an Acura TL.

Has anyone attempted such a mod? Does anyone know if it would mate to a 2000 Odysseys engine? I believe 05 was a new engine style. I like my Odyssey. If I could change one thing, it would be that blasted transmission. It left me and the family on the side of the road once already, and replaced again a year later.

Wouldn't a 6 speed manual be awesome? I would have to teach the wife how to drive it though.

It was featured in Car and Driver.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/one_lap_of_america_2007_feature/2005_honda_odyssey_feature

wreckedGT
07-26-2011, 05:55 AM
To answer the question, yes it is possible. All of the Odys use j series (J35) engines from second gen to present and the all have the same transmission bolt pattern. You would also need a clutch assembly, shifter, and a new ECU from a car with a manual transmission and J35 engine as well as custom axles and maybe custom shift cables. If my transmission ever goes out again I will probably do this swap, been looking into it for a while.
...I hate auto transmissions...

RyzeAbove
09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
To answer the question, yes it is possible. All of the Odys use j series (J35) engines from second gen to present and the all have the same transmission bolt pattern. You would also need a clutch assembly, shifter, and a new ECU from a car parts (http://motorfiend.com/) with a manual transmission and J35 engine as well as custom axles and maybe custom shift cables. If my transmission ever goes out again I will probably do this swap, been looking into it for a while.
...I hate auto transmissions...

Have you done the swap and if you did has it benefited you?