Towing [Archive] - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

: Towing

michaelb1
06-01-2008, 11:04 AM
I have an 01 LX. Do I need to go the dealer and get the two package installed in order to pull a camper or pop-up?
Does anybody know an ideal camper to pull with it?
Thanks,
mike

lizzurd
06-07-2008, 09:16 AM
You don't have to have a hitch installed by the dealer to be able to tow. There are a few good aftermarket hitches on the market as well as wiring harnesses. Honda does recommend a trans coller if you do plan to tow.

This site will gove you an idea of the options you have.

Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924 (http://www.etrailer.com)

BigFoot48
06-10-2008, 12:11 AM
The Honda installed hitch, tranny cooler, and power steering cooler are, what I would call, very expensive. Check your owners manual for what is required, for example they require both coolers and a weight distributing hitch (if trailer is over 1,850#, IIRC) on my 2007. As lizzurd said, a third-party hitch and coolers is the way to go, especially on an out-of-warranty car.

You can tow anything up to your weight limit. Mine is 3,500#. We tow a Casita 17' fiberglass trailer. Pop-ups are also popular.

tbh999
07-23-2008, 07:34 AM
On a 2005-2008 there's a service bulletin out there says that you will void your warranty if you don't install a transmission cooler and air duct. On a 2001 I think it just says that it's required if you are towing more than 2,000 lb...

Honda's reasoning for the 2005-2008 warranty issue is, you install the hitch for a bike rack, no problem you really don't need the cooler, but if you sell the car the next owner isn't going to know that he can't pull a trailer because the coolers aren't installed and end's up burring up his transmission.

Personally, I went the other way around, before heading out on a road trip to Arizona, I installed the transmission and power steering coolers and the air duct, but I didn't install the hitch.

Personally, if I was to install a hitch, I would install the coolers as well. The Honda OEM parts prices are high, but, our hosts prices, H and A Accessories, are a lot better than my local dealers.

Honda Odyssey Accessories - Exterior Accessories - Genuine Factory Honda Accessories, made by Honda for your Honda. (http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyext01.html)

Tesla
08-14-2009, 05:53 PM
btw, the Honda atf and power steering pump are a joke. get a good aftermarket one.

BigFoot48
08-14-2009, 06:18 PM
The ATF cooler for 2007 and later, is significantly better than the simple tube with fins in prior years, but aftermarket remain a lot less expensive!

odyssey08
02-22-2011, 09:06 AM
The ATF cooler for 2007 and later, is significantly better than the simple tube with fins in prior years, but aftermarket remain a lot less expensive!

Hi, I want to install same as yours on the picture OEM transmission cooler for Odyssey 08í just a quick question did you have to install new power steering cooler as well? Iím just trying to avoid installing power steering cooler.

Thanks Ivan

BigFoot48
02-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Hi, I want to install same as yours on the picture OEM transmission cooler for Odyssey 08í just a quick question did you have to install new power steering cooler as well? Iím just trying to avoid installing power steering cooler.I had them both installed by the dealer as part of the towing package. Honda "requires" the PS cooler for towing but I don't know what the consequences would be if you didn't.

The PS cooler is a simple finned tube across the front of the radiator, which I don't quite see in the picture.

odyssey08
02-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I had them both installed by the dealer as part of the towing package. Honda "requires" the PS cooler for towing but I don't know what the consequences would be if you didn't.

The PS cooler is a simple finned tube across the front of the radiator, which I don't quite see in the picture.

i read in other post that original PS cooler would be on the way when i install OEM trans cooler. Is that true? i want to install trans cooler tonight after work and i want to make sure that i don't need to get PS cooler after taking apart my front end.

thanks Ivan

BigFoot48
02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
The original PS cooler was a tube going back and forth in front of the radiator. The PS cooler is a single tube with fins going across the top of the opening and behind the T cooler.

I suggest you read the install instructions for both coolers and see what they say. HandA has them available. http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyext05.html

odyssey08
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Finally I installed trans cooler on my 08’ odyssey everything went well, hopefully I ran the hoses correctly, instruction is very confusing I will take it for a free inspection to a dealer and also let them do the transmission oil change, that way they can check if I did it right.

asherms1
05-29-2013, 04:25 AM
The Honda installed hitch, tranny cooler, and power steering cooler are, what I would call, very expensive. Check your owners manual for what is required, for example they require both coolers and a weight distributing hitch (if trailer is over 1,850#, IIRC) on my 2007. As lizzurd said, a third-party hitch and coolers is the way to go, especially on an out-of-warranty car.

You can tow anything up to your weight limit. Mine is 3,500#. We tow a Casita 17' fiberglass trailer. Pop-ups are also popular.

BigFoot48: I am getting a Casita 16' (looks like about 300# lighter than yours) which arrives from Rice TX June 15, to be towed by '04 Oddy. Took van to (non-dealer but very respected) shop and told them all this: specifically asked about tranny cooler. They said I already had one that "runs through the radiator" and that the PS cooler was not required. I bought the vehicle new so I don't know how a tranny cooler got on there... Is there a stock version that actually is cooled by running line through the radiator? From above it looks like the majority opinion is that whatever is on there is insufficient.

Regarding weight distributing hitch? Casita salesman said just get 2" ball that is 17" off ground... Can you recommend a weight distributing hitch? I found this which may be overkill:

http://www.hitchsource.com/equalizer-hitch-and-shank-14000-lbs-p-27431.html?gclid=CJDojNL9urcCFdKj4AodBXoAiA

Are you able to accelerate adequately on entrance ramps? (The 2013 16' Spirit Deluxe looks 300# lighter than the 17')

Is the Casita interior cramped? I am 5'11" and I see the ceiling is 5'10". At this point I don't mind stooping in return for a lighter vehicle.

I am an ultra newbie to towing. I definitely do NOT want to cheap out on this and end up on the side of 95 with wife and my little yappy dog. (First trip is Baltimore to Boston on July 4th.)

BigFoot48
05-29-2013, 07:58 AM
We towed our Casita all over the west for four years, and its a great trailer. You should visit and ask all your towing/Casita questions at the trailer forums: http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/ http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/

The 2004 Ody has a smaller engine than my 2007 did, I think, so I can't get you definitive advice, but think you will not have any problem towing the Casita. Ours never had a problem accelerating briskly and once moving you don't really know its back there unless you look in the rearview mirror.

The transmission fluid does flow through a bottom tank on the bottom of the water radiator, so yes, it can be said to already have a cooler. But Honda requires an supplemental cooler for a reason, and especially on a 2004 that has the previous generation transmission, I believe it would be a very good idea. You might inquire on the trailer forums for people that have installed coolers for advice, but I think it's not an expensive addition. I would be more willing to take a chance on not installing the PS cooler, and if I had DIY'd mine, would not have added that cooler.

That WDH is indeed overkill, you want one that is rated for the potential weight of the hitch for the trailer you will be towing, which is about 400-500# in the case of the Casita. Again, investigate this on the trailer forums. Some people have had good luck with a single-bar WDH in towing the Casita: http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Draw-Tite/RP66069.html

I'm 6'4" and our 17' Casita ceiling was less than that. It's something you get use to, and there's not a lot of walking around room anyway so its not a big deal. These are small trailers though. We started with a really small 13' Scamp, then the 17', but my wife after 50,000 miles of towing decided she had had enough, with the small interior being one of the issues, so we sold it.

Some people find it unacceptable from day-one and end up selling. I even know of one person that sold it one the way home from picking it up at Casita! Just get prepared for that, but there's no doubt this is one of the best trailers on the market in this size, and they can be towed to just about anywhere. The re-sale value is also extremely high.

Good luck and enjoy your Casita, but do go to those trailer forums for more information. I posted on all three for many years.

asherms1
05-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Thank you, BigFoot. I will try the trailer forums as per your suggestion... Do you suppose the '07 ATF cooler would backfit to an '04?

MA

BigFoot48
05-30-2013, 07:27 AM
It might be installable a little easier due to being customized for the Ody but most 3rd party add-on coolers would also work and be less expensive. They're just short metal tubes with fin connected with rubber tubes to the existing AT cooler lines.

geartester
06-11-2013, 02:07 PM
I have what looks like the factory installed kit on my van for the hitch.
How do I know if the coolers are installed as well?

Also I see allot of posts on here with ppl really nervous to haul 1k close to their max amount. I am looking to haul within 500lbs or so of the max - is that a bad thing?

-Chad

BigFoot48
06-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Here are pictures of the installed tranny cooler and power steering cooler. I can't remember which is which, but one of these replaced a curvy black tube that was in front of the radiator that cooled the transmission.

I towed at (in the Ody) or above (in the Element) the weight limits for some 50,000 miles. I too read many times experienced towers recommending towing only 75% of capacity. Well, that just wasn't in the cards for my towing and choice of trailers and cars, and I never, ever felt the weight towed was beyond the capacity of the vehicles or placed us in danger. If the Honda engineers say you can tow X, then you can tow X, and any safety margin is built into that number.

That said, always weigh your trailer with all your gear in it to stay at or below the towing limit (my Scamp came in at 1,800# and the Element limit was 1,500#, and that was "close enough" for this light load, but I never towed above 3,500# (but often right at it) with Ody).

Although above some amount, say 2,000# electric brakes are a MUST to keep the trailer from pushing around the car.

Good luck.