Subwoofer for 08 EX-L w/RES [Archive] - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

: Subwoofer for 08 EX-L w/RES

mcsenerd
06-15-2008, 07:22 PM
I think this thing needs a bit more punch on the low end...but looking at H&A it seems like the factory subwoofer is not compatible with the 08's. Is this true? If so, is there some other unobtrusive way to add some bass to this thing without getting raked over the coals for something custom?

hndaownr
11-09-2008, 10:32 PM
My EXL (non Navi/RES) came with a subwoofer from the factory. It is located under the front passenger seat. It rounds out the sound very well.

cheatek
11-11-2008, 05:53 PM
I think this thing needs a bit more punch on the low end...but looking at H&A it seems like the factory subwoofer is not compatible with the 08's. Is this true? If so, is there some other unobtrusive way to add some bass to this thing without getting raked over the coals for something custom?

Good question, I was wanting to do the same thing on my 06. The stock sub is a joke, I almost swapped to the Honda aftermarket one but decided against it with the install involved (basically disasembling the whole dash to run the wires, as well as having to turn the sub on/off with a seperate switch on it's own). I was thinking in the Touring models the empty rear spare tire compartment would be a good place to add one but that becomes too much of a custom job for me. I ended up sticking with the stock one.

One thing to consider is if you have little ones and put the sub in the back somewhere it's gonna be "boom-booming" them a lot and irritating them if they have the DVD on or are listening to something different than you are up front. That's prolly why Honda put a weak sub up in the front.

hndaownr
11-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Sorry for the long post. :(

The factory subwoofer option (the "Kelton" one) is not compatible with the '08 Odyssey's because it now comes standard with the EXL and higher. Although the Touring model has a higher power stereo, and slightly more expensive speakers, the subwoofer is the same.

Granted the factory sub isn't "perfect" but for someone who has not had a subwoofer in a vehicle in over 10 years it is a big improvement to 6X9's.

So although the factory stereo sounds "ok" I'm considering upgrading. Can anyone confirm whether or not the Touring model premium stereo (the non-navi one) has MP3/WMA capability (mine lists it on the front face)? I also heard once that the Touring stereo's had rca jacks on the back (can't remember if it was 2 or 4 channel). Can any one confirm this?

ecommish
01-17-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm attempting today to install the good sounding optional sub in my '08. There has got to be a way, I'll post and let you all know how I fare.
May be a $300.00 mistake, but it will be worth it if it works or I find out how to do it.
The statndard sub in the '08 touring is an abortion, Honda should be embarrased at what they call a subwoofer. The single speaker in my 1984 boom box I took to school in 7th grade put out more sound than this thing...

eneka
02-09-2009, 04:00 AM
i belive that the sub under the passenger seat for EX-L is not for audio but only for the ANC system.

tknude
05-31-2013, 01:24 AM
Here is my solution to a sub. It is an 8inch type r Alpine in a vented box. You can see how I removed the tray and the flip up mechanism that holds it in place. Left are three bolts that I attached a piece of wood to that my box slides on to. It is not going anywhere. It is now covered in vinyl and the tray is attached to the top. I am running through an MS8 in the floor storage and ran rca from it through the box to an 1/8 inch female plug on the tray for the kis to plug and play their music. I have to take pics of the final product but you get the idea. It sounds great by the way. 221222223224

Sent from AutoGuide.com App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

alynaloosy345
04-22-2014, 04:45 AM
My EXL came with a subwoofer from the factory. It is located under the front passenger seat. It rounds out the sound very well.