XM on 2008 EX-L Sounds Terrible [Archive] - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

: XM on 2008 EX-L Sounds Terrible

Nitz
10-27-2008, 11:58 PM
I have XM on my 2005 Element, and I can definitely here the difference when switching from FM to XM, almost cd quality (ok, not that good but could tell difference.) On my new Odyssey, XM sounds horrible. I have an enclosure under the passenger seat that after searching everywhere to find out what it is finally found out it is a "woofer", not a "subwoofer." It almost sounds as if this woofer does not work when using XM, leaving the sound lacking any punch. I have switched between XM FM and CD while touching this enclosure and feel NOTHING. Wonder if this thing even works. Am I crazy, or anyone notice this difference in sound? Here is where I found out what this box is:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ODYSSEY&catcgry2=2008&catcgry3=5DR+EXL&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=SPEAKER

hndaownr
11-09-2008, 10:29 PM
The subwoofer in my Odyssey works great for all sources...radio, cd, mp3. It really rounds out the sound very well. I wonder if yours is defective?

cheatek
11-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Idk, in my opinion the subwoofer is a pos. It's too small to put out any good sound and barely noticable even at full volume. I suppose I'm a little biased as I've had some cars with really good stock systems and even better aftermarket ones but the sub in the Odysseys is a joke. It's under the pas. front seat and even at full volume with the bass turned all the way up putting my hand on it I can barely feel anything. It's too small. Imo.

Ohana_Ody
03-28-2009, 01:18 PM
read this. this is apparently not a new thing. you will be shocked.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=45445

now i think i regret getting the navi/RES option...i may have to pull out some parts down the road and go aftermarket.

passwords
04-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Idk, in my opinion the subwoofer is a pos. It's too small to put out any good sound and barely noticable even at full volume. I suppose I'm a little biased as I've had some cars with really good stock systems and even better aftermarket ones but the sub in the Odysseys is a joke. It's under the pas. front seat and even at full volume with the bass turned all the way up putting my hand on it I can barely feel anything. It's too small. Imo.
totally agree, the low voice makes me crazy.

flttester
06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
You're not able to feel anything from the stereo out of the subwoofer because the EX-L subwoofer isn't connected to the stereo. In the EX-L, it is an active noise canceller to counter low frequency engine noise when the VCM is active.

hndaownr
06-12-2009, 07:36 PM
You're not able to feel anything from the stereo out of the subwoofer because the EX-L subwoofer isn't connected to the stereo. In the EX-L, it is an active noise canceller to counter low frequency engine noise when the VCM is active.

Hmm, interesting perspective. I've heard about the ANC. Be that as it may, as far as I can tell my vehicle most definitely has a factory subwoofer installed and working (played various music genre from jazz, r&b, rock, and rap and although it doesn't thump/boom like a pair of 10's or 12's the bass is distinctly there). Incidentally I have a stock '08 Odyssey EXL w/o nav or res. I wonder if that determines if the vehicle has ANC? What I do know is that my '08 EXL Odyssey isn't any quieter

I'm not exactly sure how the ANC works, but is it supposed to make the vehicle somewhat quieter? If so, all I can say is that my Odyssey isn't any quieter than my 5 year old Accord or the 9 year old Accord I used to have...

flttester
06-13-2009, 10:05 AM
The only 08 Odyssey with factory stereo subwoofer is the Touring. See http://automobiles.honda.com/certified-used/2008/odyssey/audio.aspx

The sub is there to cancel low frequency engine rumble that happens when the VCM shuts cylinders off. It doesn't try to cancel noise at all frequencies. Here's a quote from Honda -

"Vehicles equipped with VCM use both an audio system-based Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system and a chassis-based Active Control Engine Mount (ACM) system to cancel noise and vibration that can occur during cylinder deactivation." http://automobiles.honda.com/news/press-releases-article.aspx?Category=General&Article=4262

hndaownr
06-15-2009, 07:26 PM
The only 08 Odyssey with factory stereo subwoofer is the Touring. See http://automobiles.honda.com/certified-used/2008/odyssey/audio.aspx

The sub is there to cancel low frequency engine rumble that happens when the VCM shuts cylinders off. It doesn't try to cancel noise at all frequencies. Here's a quote from Honda -

"Vehicles equipped with VCM use both an audio system-based Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system and a chassis-based Active Control Engine Mount (ACM) system to cancel noise and vibration that can occur during cylinder deactivation." http://automobiles.honda.com/news/press-releases-article.aspx?Category=General&Article=4262

I would certainly agree with you that the brochures mention the Touring model is the only one with the sub. What is confusing however, is that I've talked to two people who work for Honda and they confirm that it has a sub. Very confusing!

flttester
06-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Another one for you. In my Ridgeline with a factory stereo with sub, I have Bass, Treble and Sub level options. In my Odyssey EX-L, I only have Bass and Treble.

The employees weren't wrong - the sub is in there, it just isn't connnected to the stereo :D

hndaownr
06-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Another one for you. In my Ridgeline with a factory stereo with sub, I have Bass, Treble and Sub level options. In my Odyssey EX-L, I only have Bass and Treble.

The employees weren't wrong - the sub is in there, it just isn't connnected to the stereo :D

Well I did some further checking and from what I can tell, you are right...the sub isn't connected. However, if the sub isn't connected I'm wondering what Honda did to make the stereo sound good with only 6 1/2" speakers front and back. My EXL has more bass than my '00 EXL Accord with after-market speakers (I never have bass/treble turned up more than 1/2 way). I'm wondering if it possible to connect the subwoofer to the stereo? If so, do you have any idea what would be required? Be that as it may, to me it seems silly to include a subwoofer if it's not connected...but maybe that is why the touring model has more amplifier power - some of it is used to power the sub...