Maintenance recs not in owners manual [Archive] - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

: Maintenance recs not in owners manual

SedanDelivery
02-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Routine service for my '03 Odyssey (85000 miles) today. They recommended coolant flush and power steering flush, saying both fluids were dirty. I passed for now. Then looked at recommended maintenance in the owners manual. It says Coolant replacement isn't needed to 120,000 miles, and power steering flush isn't mentioned at all.

Anyone think these services are necessary service at this point, or is the repair shop just trolling for additional $$$?

Inshan
02-28-2009, 05:00 PM
If you are living where the weather gets very cold in the winter and hot in the summer like Canada then you should maintain the vehicle under the severe driving conditions, however regardless where you live I would still flush the coolant and power steering fluid once every five years high mileage or not also it's not an expensive service but can save you alot in the long term, infact the power steering fluid is one of the most neglected maintainence, not all maintainence is in the owners manual example throttle body service.
Goodluck.

fymr
03-01-2009, 02:01 AM
With 6 years on the coolant I would say it should be flushed. Not sure who is servicing it for you, dealership or somewhere else, but if it is somewhere else make sure it is the same coolant. Older cars it may not be as important, but with the newer cars you want to use the same stuff.

Inshan
03-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Just as a follow up, at the Honda dealership In Ontario Canada one bottle of pre-mix coolant is about $20 you'll need two and the power steering fluid is around $6 you'll need three, both services are very simple I'm sure you can do it yourself.

basheny
03-17-2009, 06:52 PM
My odyssey '04 just reminded me it needs maintenance. Called dealer to see what was required at 65,000 mi and was total many things that would add up to $445. That seems a little excessive for routine maint. to me......any thoughts?:(

Kscha41
03-18-2009, 08:02 PM
My odyssey '04 just reminded me it needs maintenance. Called dealer to see what was required at 65,000 mi and was total many things that would add up to $445. That seems a little excessive for routine maint. to me......any thoughts?:(

I would just rotate tires, change oil, and drain and fill tranny.

Dirkdaddy
10-05-2010, 09:00 AM
I would just rotate tires, change oil, and drain and fill tranny.

Check air filter, cabin filter, brake fluid condition, serptin. belt for wear, that sort of thing.

alynaloosy345
04-22-2014, 05:06 AM
who is servicing it for you, dealership or somewhere else. 2 Check air filter, brake fluid condition. belt for wear, that sort of thing.