VCM in the 2008 [Archive] - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

: VCM in the 2008

nevadagarth
12-05-2007, 10:20 AM
I heard that Honda revamped the VCM in the 2008 Odysseys to get better fuel economy. Is this a simple reprogramming of the VCM computer or more extensive? I would like to get better fuel economy on our 2007 Odyssey with VCM.

eneka
12-17-2007, 08:02 PM
i remember reading somewhere that it had more than just software updates...the new VCM2 has a lot of more mechanical controls than just a sowtware update.

nevadagarth
01-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Dang! I was hoping I could just get a new computer chip.

ced_07EXL
01-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I heard that the 2008 VCM had 6-4-3 as opposed to the 6-3 in prior models. It is much more than programming.

T Mac
01-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Direct from Honda...

For 2008, a new generation of VCM provides the additional capability to selectively deactivate either two or three of the engine's six cylinders during cruising and deceleration (instead of three, exclusively). Similar to the new VCM system available on the 2008 Accord, the Odyssey's new VCM engine expands the cylinder deactivation operating range, which helps to increase fuel efficiency in a wider variety of driving conditions and speeds. An "ECO" indicator light illuminates on the instrument panel when the vehicle is operating at an optimal level of fuel efficiency. The Odyssey EX-L and Touring models achieve an EPA-rated city/highway fuel economy of 17/25 mpg2.

Vehicles equipped with VCM use both an audio system-based Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system and a chassis-based Active Control Engine Mount (ACM) system to cancel noise and vibration that can occur during cylinder deactivation.