Check engine light & temporary loss of power - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum
Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

Go Back   Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum > Honda Odyssey > Problems & Issues

OdysseyOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Odyssey Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 AM

Question Check engine light & temporary loss of power

About six months after we got our 2006 Odyssey, brand new, we were taking a quick 100 mile roadtrip. About 70 miles into the drive (all Interstate) suddenly I felt an immediate loss of power while on a slight incline. The check engine light came on and it felt as though I lost 80% of my power. I pulled over and shut down the engine. I checked the oil and the temperature gauge and everything seemed fine. After a few minutes, I restarted the engine and the light went out so we continued on with no problems. I chalked it up to a computer correction of some kind.

Fast forward two years to august 31, 2008 (Sunday on Labor Day weekend). While returning from a vacation trip we were again on an incline in the Blue Ridge Mountains when the same thing happened: loss of power, check engine light came on. Again, I pulled over, noticed the temperature gauge was fine and no other warning lights. I shut down the engine and checked the oil. No problems. I let the engine cool for about fifteen minutes and restarted the van. Only this time the light didn't go out. I cautiously continued on. It took about a minute for the van to regain normal power but I noticed the Variable cylinder management system (ECO light on the dash) never came on for the rest of the trip. We ran on all six cylinders for the remainder of the trip but otherwise had no other problems. Despite extended stops (over an hour for dinner) plus gas stops the check engine light remained on.

We returned home that night, pulled into the garage and called it a night. The next day I started the van. Everything was normal. Check engine light was off and the Variable Cylinder Management System was operating normally. No problems since but I'm a little nervous about taking it on another out of town trip without having it checked out. I suspect a bad sensor that controls the VCM system. Of course I am 2000 miles out of warranty at 38,000 miles. Any thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have an EX-L model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guynamedpaul View Post
About six months after we got our 2006 Odyssey, brand new, we were taking a quick 100 mile roadtrip. About 70 miles into the drive (all Interstate) suddenly I felt an immediate loss of power while on a slight incline. The check engine light came on and it felt as though I lost 80% of my power. I pulled over and shut down the engine. I checked the oil and the temperature gauge and everything seemed fine. After a few minutes, I restarted the engine and the light went out so we continued on with no problems. I chalked it up to a computer correction of some kind.

Fast forward two years to august 31, 2008 (Sunday on Labor Day weekend). While returning from a vacation trip we were again on an incline in the Blue Ridge Mountains when the same thing happened: loss of power, check engine light came on. Again, I pulled over, noticed the temperature gauge was fine and no other warning lights. I shut down the engine and checked the oil. No problems. I let the engine cool for about fifteen minutes and restarted the van. Only this time the light didn't go out. I cautiously continued on. It took about a minute for the van to regain normal power but I noticed the Variable cylinder management system (ECO light on the dash) never came on for the rest of the trip. We ran on all six cylinders for the remainder of the trip but otherwise had no other problems. Despite extended stops (over an hour for dinner) plus gas stops the check engine light remained on.

We returned home that night, pulled into the garage and called it a night. The next day I started the van. Everything was normal. Check engine light was off and the Variable Cylinder Management System was operating normally. No problems since but I'm a little nervous about taking it on another out of town trip without having it checked out. I suspect a bad sensor that controls the VCM system. Of course I am 2000 miles out of warranty at 38,000 miles. Any thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have an EX-L model.
Check your gas cap and see if it's tight enough. You shuold still be eligible for warranty even though you are 2000 miles over the limit, call Honda and request "goodwill consideration".
Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 AM

Default new development

Thanks for the reply. Interestingly enough, the dash display in the odometer / temperature area was scrolling a message that read "check gas cap" last night. It's the first time we've seen that. However, the gas level was at 1/4 tank and that warning had not appeared before even though we filled the tank over a week ago. We always tighten the cap at least four clicks. I'm going to get it into the dealer as soon as we have a chance. Can you explain what "Goodwill consideration" is as far as Honda is concerned? Is this something Honda officially recognizes with some sort of goodwill policy toward good customers? I just figured we were S.O.L. Hopefully they will have mercy. We're a loyal Honda family with an Odyssey, Civic and even a Honda lawnmower. We've owned lots of them over the years because of their strong reliability and resale value.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:49 PM

Default variable cylinder management defect?

We have an Odyssey 2007 V6 with VCM, 29,000 miles. About 2 months ago we noticed a significant hesitation/surging feeling while driving at a constant speed on the highway (65-70 MPH). This hesitation is such that both the passenger and the driver can feel it- almost jerked forward a bit in the seat. The spedometer and RPM gauges both change about 5 points when this feeling occurs. Again, this is on the highway at a constant speed without cruise control. Initially when we took it in we were told the REAR MOTOR MOUNT had collapsed, and this could be the cause for the shifting/hesitaiton feeling. After the mount was replaced (only 27,000 miles on it then?) we drove the car again to find the problem still exhists. The dealer is trying to convince us this is "a normal variance within the VCM system." Normal? for both driver and passenger to be jerked foreward, normal for the RPM and spedometer gauges to change during constant highway speed? The owners manuel states that the VCM system, when activated, should go unnoticed to the driver- only the ECO light will engage. This certainly isn't the case. I have searched other web-sites and have found numerous complaints just like mine. Anybody out there having the same issue? The VCM system is good in theory, but if this is the type of quality that surrounds the design, it needs to be rethought. As I understand it, many Odyssey drivers with VCM notice absolutely nothing when the system engages (we didn't for the first 27,000 miles).

In addition, I have found during my research the motor mounts for the newer Odysseys are known to be weak due to the design/engagement of VCM during driving, going from 3 cylinders to 6 cylinders and vice-versa causes enormous pressure on the mounts- look it up. (Honda has put out a warning to dealers addressing this issue) with weakening beginning at 50,000 miles (our motor mount went at only 27,000 miles!)

We are driving with the Honda Rep and service manager at our local dealership tomorrow- more to follow.

Anybody out there having similar issues? I'd love to hear from you.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Default power surge on hill w/check engine light on and flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by guynamedpaul View Post

we have a 2005 odessey ex-l had this same problem at 9000 miles on our first trip we also were on a hill dealer pulled codes which said we had a miss fire. they reset light and we drove home no probem . however in june 2008 on our way to las vegas same thing miss fire on a hill check engine light on and flashing loss of power then it would run fine take it to dealer reset codes dealer states unable to duplicate problem. we drive home all is fine then we take a trip day after christmas 2008. going up same hill same results dealer resets codes runs fine they say unable to duplicte problem we drive home fine . we are very frustrated dealer is going to look at this week.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger cason View Post
...in june 2008 on our way to las vegas same thing miss fire on a hill check engine light on and flashing loss of power then it would run fine take it to dealer reset codes dealer states unable to duplicate problem. we drive home all is fine then we take a trip day after christmas 2008. going up same hill same results dealer resets codes runs fine they say unable to duplicte problem we drive home fine...
What hill did you have this problem on?
Old 08-01-2009, 03:23 PM

As crazy as this sounds I had the EXACT same problem with a 2005 Pilot. Took it in and they said it was actually the battery. Replaced it free (which shocked me) and it was fine. He said they do that for some reason. That could be it....
Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 AM

Default Incline Loss of Power Check Engine Light ECO turns off.

Yes, I to have the 2005 Odyssey EX-L-NAV and have this exact same problem. This problem have almost killed us this weekend on the Grapevine Hwy 5 incline. I had this problem over 4 years now and the third time to fail each time going uphill. The engine does misfire and each time I bring the van in Honda Service has not fixed it. Each time #1 replace sensor, #2 oil not high enough, and now #3 I am waiting to hear thier next excuse. My van engine has been rebuilt twice when I bought it due to leaking oil, and my brakes are warped again after 15K. This car is smelling like a yellow fruit! I will never trust this car up hill again.

Did you ever get the problem fixed? If so what was the diagnosis?

Corey
Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 PM

Did this issue ever get resolved? Can I call you on this?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Problem resolved (we think!)

Earlier this month the same problem reared its ugly head, this time in spades. We were Northbound on I-71 leaving downtown Cincinnati on an uphill grade when the van lurched, lost power and the check engine light began flashing just as described in my original post. The light stopped flashing when we topped the hill but remained on. We got it home and I made arrangements to get it to the Honda dealer for a look-see. By the time we got there, the light was out and the code computer couldn't get any error readings (why doesn't the van's on-board computer store a memory of codes?). But they convinced us the battery needed to be replaced. I was very skeptical but agreed. Since the van now has 60,000 miles on it, the battery was not covered under warranty so it cost me $125.

Of course, the next day the problem returned when going uphill and it was occurring more often than ever before. We couldn't go up a moderate incline without the check engine light flashing and experiencing a loss of power. Two more return visits to the dealer brought no relief but finally, after I persisted and insisted the mechanic take it for a drive on some steep hills, he experienced what I had been complaining about. He did some research and replaced a fuel-pump relay. It's a tiny half-inch by half-inch blue plastic box that obviously plugs into some sort of circuit board. I was again skeptical that it would solve the problem (it was only a $27 part) but we've now gone two weeks without a problem. It looks like the mystery has been solved and I can once again feel comfortable driving our van long distances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement