Brake Shimmy - Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum
Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum

Go Back   Honda Odyssey Owners Club Forum > Honda Odyssey > 2011 + (4th Gen) Official Specs, Features, Etc.

OdysseyOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Odyssey Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Default Brake Shimmy

All,

I've been experiencing high speed brake shimmy on my '13 Odyssey. The first occurrence at 7,500 miles and now it's happening again at 19,000 miles. We purchase our Odyssey in December 2012. We don't ride our brakes, though we do live on a hill. We had this issue with our previous '07 Odyssey as well. In between our '07 and our current '13, we owned a '10 Sienna SE, the Toyota didn't have this problem.

Wondering how many of the forum members are experiencing the same, or is it just us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 08:36 AM

I've owned many Hondas and warped rotors are very common. I can warp rotors in a weekend with aggressive driving. It's very common. Cut the rotors and you're good to go. Honda will probably do it under warranty.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:29 PM

Honda has gone back to the stone age if they can't manufacture a rotor that won't warp with soccer mom's driving there vans. And it's just plain silly when the service rep tells you not to drive in the rain because that will cause the rotors to warp when you apply the brake. I'd rather have a horse and buggy.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:14 PM

All,

I don't post nor read the forums often, an update on our 2013 Odyssey Touring....

We've had to machine the rotors every other 7,500 miles and then have the pads and rotors replaced every other 15,000 miles (give or take). At 83,xxx miles now I can't count how many rotors, pads, machining the rotors we've done! Only recently have we been able to find aftermarket brake components that lists the '13 as a fit.

Our first try was with ************ who recommended slotted rotors with EBC green pads. This lasted us just a tad under 3,000 miles! Very disappointed. We went back to OE rotors and pads. We're due to have our front rotors machined again. What have you done when replacing OE rotors and pads?

Our '13 Odyssey's brakes have been a huge disappointment, everything else works fine but we won't be coming back to Honda unless Honda's addressed the brake issue. Please help me with recommendations. Thanks.....
Old 06-13-2015, 06:18 PM

Default Brakes "lite"

I've read (forget where) that the material the brake pads are made of will coat the rotor if you regularly brake hard. I have experienced the shimmy you spoke of after braking hard a few times. I complained to the dealer when the vehicle was almost new that the rotors were warped and was told they weren't. When I brake early and lightly the shimmy disappears over time. I have a '12 with 71,000 miles and the pads all around are original. Rest assured, when they do need to be changed I'll go with an after market ceramic metallic pad like Wagner. If the tech that bolts your wheels back on is over-torqing the lug nuts it could warp a rotor.

Last edited by junior1954; 06-13-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:59 AM

Thumbs up Brake Shimmy Issue

Your problem is almost certainly the mechanic over/unevenly-torquing the lug nuts. What happens is that the rotors can reach very high temp's (1,200-1,500 degrees) and then whichever bolt is over-torqued will literally and ever so slightly pull on the HOT malleable rotor and warp it. After that your brakes will pulse, or shimmy until you have the rotor cut, or replaced.

I learned this twenty years ago and have never had (almost never) a warped rotor again since I do my own brake work. Also, every time I have the wheels rotated, or have an inspection, when I get the vehicle home I retorque all wheels.
However, some time back there was one time when I started feeling a pulsing rotor and realized that I had forgotten to (or maybe got lazy) re-torque the lug nuts after an inspection. Not my fault, but I guess it was because I didn't follow my personal lug nut rule.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement